According to the American Academy of Dermatology, psoriasis is a chronic condition that causes the body to make new skin cells in days rather than weeks. Cells can pile up on the surface of the skin resulting in thick, scaly patches known as plaque psoriasis. Plaque psoriasis is the most common type of psoriasis which affects 80-90% of people with psoriasis. Plaque psoriasis appears mostly on the knees, elbows, lower back, and scalp.
Understanding Psoriasis Causes
- Stress: Stress can cause psoriasis to flare up either for the first time or existing psoriasis.
- Genetics: Psoriasis runs in families. If someone in your family has psoriasis then you have a higher risk of getting it.
- Skin Injuries: Psoriasis can appear in places where the skin has been injured.
- Medications: Certain medicines will trigger psoriasis and make it worse.
- Weather: Fall and winter can make psoriasis flare-up because of the dry air and colder temperatures.
Psoriasis treatments reduce inflammation and help clear the skin. There are several topical treatments used for psoriasis. These include corticosteroids, coal tars, and Dovonex. Also, phototherapy or light therapy is used to expose the skin to controlled amounts of natural sunlight and oral or injectable medications.
Psoriasis Dermatologist Specialists in Marietta
Kayal Dermatology specializes in the treatment of skin conditions like psoriasis. The staff at Kayal Dermatology has expertise in treating psoriasis. They understand psoriasis triggers, what you should avoid, symptoms, and treatments of psoriasis. Kayal Dermatology will choose the right treatment for you based on the type, severity of psoriasis, and the area that is affected.
If you are experiencing patches of red, scaly skin that is itchy and are concerned about diagnosis and treatment, call Kayal Dermatology today to schedule a consultation to determine the cause of your skin irritation.