Summertime is just around the corner, which means that it’s also time to start trying on those bathing suits, not an act that many women look forward to. If trying on bathing suits is one of your worse fears this article could help you find a way to deal with those fears. Although exercise and a health diet are the best ways to rid yourself of extra body fat that is not always enough. Many people just like you are turning to surgical help, tumescent liposuction. Liposuction is now the most commonly performed aesthetic procedure in the U.S., and the tumescent method is the safest form of liposuction.
- What is tumescent liposuction and how does it work?
- Tumescent liposuction is an outpatient surgical procedure that can help you reduce stubborn localized fat deposits. It can be done on any body part, the most popular being the abdomen, thighs, and yes those love handles. The procedure is performed in the office with no general anesthesia which makes the procedure quicker with a shorter recovery time. This also makes the procedure less expensive since there is no hospital stay or general anesthesia costs. The first step in getting liposuction is to have a cosmetic consult to find out if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Once a consult is done the procedure is then scheduled. On the day of the procedure here’s what to expect:
You will first be given some medication to help you relax during the procedure; however you will not be put to sleep. After being given a numbing medication in about four locations the doctor will then begin the tumescent section of the surgery. This part involves injecting a large amount of numbing fluid into the area or areas of concern. The solution also contains medication to help decrease the swelling and bruising that may take place one to two days after the procedure. The medicine is then given about 20-30 minutes to take affect before the actual liposuction takes place. After the time has passed the liposuction will begin with the doctor using small steel tubes (canula) to remove the excess fat from the areas that were agreed upon. The amount of time it takes to finish the liposuction depends on how many areas of treatment there are and the amount of fat taken. After the procedure is over the small areas that were used for the canula will be covered with a pressure dressing and tight garment and then you will check out. About one week after the surgery you will need to follow up at the doctor’s office to check the results and after that the only follow-up is about six months later. The maximum results will be seen 8-12 weeks after the procedure. Most patients will be able to return to work within a few days after the surgery.
- Who is an ideal candidate?
- Liposuction is not a means of dieting; it is however a perfect aid in reduction of body fat. The ideal candidate is a patient who is within 20-30 lbs of their ideal body weight. The person is healthy and does already include diet and daily activities in their lifestyle. Although liposuction is safe to use at all ages, patients with younger skin tend to see better results due to the elasticity of their skin.
- What are the risk factors of liposuction?
- Although this is an outpatient procedure there are still risks involved. Some of these risk are bruising, fluid retention, blood loss, and skin infection. These risks are increased if there are multiple sites done.
- What to expect immediately following liposuction?
- You may experience some pain and soreness depending on the sites and how many sites that were actually done. You may also experience some bruising to the areas that the surgery was performed on. All of these things are normal and should not raise any alarm. You will also have to wear a compression garment for 4-6 weeks after the surgery to reduce the swelling and aid in the healing process.
Liposuction facts from the American Association of Ambulatory Health Care:
- Liposuction procedure times ranged from 28-153 minutes
- 91% of patients who responded to a six-month follow-up survey said they were positive about their decision to have liposuction
- 84% of patients who responded had high levels of satisfaction with the procedure (4 or 5 on a scale of 1-5)
- 91% satisfied with skin tone
- 86% were satisfied with shape and smoothness
- 87% were satisfied with overall appearance
Liposuction is a perfect remedy for those bothersome areas that will just not go away, even with the best diet and exercise. The procedure is perfect for people who don’t have much down time and can’t afford to have a major surgery performed. The results you will see are amazing and the new you can be ready just in time for summer and that bathing suit you’ve always wanted to wear.
Call today for your free tumescent liposuction consultation from Dr. Kayal, a board certified cosmetic dermatologist in Marietta 770-426-7177