Women and men alike for years have battled ridding themselves of unwanted facial and body hair, now thanks to new laser hair removal treatments this could be a problem of the past. For most women, waxing and plucking unwanted facial hair has become a way of life. Also, with summer just around the corner shaving or waxing those bikini lines and underarms can be tedious and burdensome. For men having to deal with razor bumps or ingrown hairs is a painful way to start each morning. All of these methods of hair removal are both costly and painful. These methods also have to be repeated weekly or monthly, who has time for that? Laser hair removal is a safe and effective way to permanently rid you of all unwanted hair on any body part and for any skin color.
If you have ever thought about receiving laser hair removal treatment, now is the time. Here are some of the common questions asked about this revolutionary method of treatment:
- How does laser hair removal work?
- Lasers work by delivering a laser light through an actively-cooled hand piece which glides comfortably across the skin, disabling hundreds of hair follicles in less than one second, permanently impairing hair growth.
- What does laser hair treatment feel like?
- The treatments feel like a mild sting for a fraction of a second. The laser has a built in cooling tip that not only helps to protect the skin but also helps to minimize the discomfort. A topical numbing cream can be placed on the treatment area twenty to thirty minutes prior to treatment to lessen this sting.
- What type of results should you expect?
- There might be no immediate change. Your skin may get slightly red or even develop a small crust that will peel. The laser may leave small red marks on your skin, which should clear up in a few days. The hair that has been destroyed will not start to fall out for two to three weeks. Many times it will get darker and thicker before it falls out. Don’t worry if you don’t see any obvious changes immediately after your first treatment.
- Does skin color make a difference?
- The newer laser’s also work on all skin types, not just lighter skin. Tanned skin, Asian and African American can also be treated.
- How long do the treatments take and how many treatments are required?
- This is very important to understand. Hair goes through three stages of development, the active growing stage (anagen), intermediate stage (catagen), and the shedding stage (telogen). Typically in the anagen or active stage, the hair will respond more effectively to treatment. At any given time, only one-third of human hair is in the active stage. For this reason, it is necessary to treat an area at least three times with the treatments spaced approximately four to six weeks apart in order to see the best and long lasting results. Darker hair will respond better, but both dark and light hair may need up to five treatments for maximum response and the best long-term results. Treatment times vary depending on area. An upper lip can be done in 5 to 10 minutes. Underarms or bikini lines usually take 15 to 20 minutes. Legs and backs take longer. Very often, follow-up treatments are shorter and less expensive because there is less hair to treat.
- How safe is laser hair removal?
- Lasers have been in existence for more than thirty-five years and are used by a wide range of medical specialists. Since only light is used to remove hair without breaking the skin barrier, it is non-invasive, and therefore it does cause some of the irritations typically found with other hair removal methods. The only side effect is short-term reddening of the skin.
- What is the cost of hair removal treatments?
- Treatment costs vary depending on the area of treatment and the time of the procedure. A consultation with the doctor is the best and only way to determine how many treatments will be required and cost of treatment.
Dr. John Kayal, a Marietta Dermatologist and Mohs Skin Cancer Specialist has added this latest innovative technology to his practice.
Unlike older technologies available, newer lasers allow me to successfully treat more patients, not just those with lighter skin. My patients both men and women alike really appreciate this new laser technology because it is fast and effective with minimal discomfort. In addition, patients can return to their normal activities almost immediately.
For more information on this latest breakthrough in laser hair removal, contact the office of Dr. John Kayal at 770-426-7177.