Mohs Pre-Operative Instructions
- No alcohol five days prior to surgery.
- Eat a light meal before your surgery.
- Bring one person with you. We do not have the accommodations for multiple family members, so please limit to one or two friends or family members.
- Your family member will have an opportunity to wait for you during the surgery in our waiting room.
- We ask that you plan to be at our office until approximately lunchtime, 12:00 – 1:00 PM. This does not mean that you will be in surgery the entire time.
- We process the tissue in the lab, which takes at least 30-45 minutes. If the tissue shows roots of the cancer extending through the margin, a second portion of the tissue will be taken for analysis. This process takes place until all the margins are cleared. This method is performed to assure that all cancer cells are removed so there is less chance of any recurrence.
- Please cancel all activities for the day of surgery and possibly longer You will receive post-operative instructions before you leave our office.
- Be prepared to spend the night before your surgery if you are coming from out of town as well as the night of surgery if the surgery becomes more extensive. Call our office if you need a hotel reference.
- You may want to bring a sweater to be worn in the waiting rooms because the temperature in our office is very cool, although it will not be allowed in the operating room.
- Please do not apply any make up the day of surgery.
- You will be required to remove your shirt and a gown furnished by the office will be worn to surgery. A shirt or top with buttons is recommended (Therefore, you may not want to wear one piece garments such as jumpsuits, etc.)
- Report any changes in your health including fever to our office.
CHECK YOUR MEDICATIONS AND BRING A LIST OF ALL MEDICATIONS YOU ARE TAKING.
If you are unsure of your medication, please call our nursing staff at: 770-426-7177.
- *ALKA SELTZER: Please discontinue
- *COUMADIN: Please call your prescribing physician to see if you can discontinue 3-5 days before surgery
- *ASPIRIN: Please discontinue 7-10 days before surgery
- *ADVIL, NAPROSYN, OTHER ANTIINFLAMMATORY MEDS: Please discontinue 4-5 days before surgery
PLEASE REVIEW THE PREOPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS AND CHECKLIST AGAIN PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL AT OUR OFFICE
If you have any questions, please feel free to call our office for assistance.