Post Operative Instructions
This is Post-Operative Instructions – Head over to Pre-Operative Instructions
Occasionally, Dr. Kayal will give specialized instructions postoperatively…
- Leave the bandages in place for 24 hours. Then you may remove the TOP GAUZE bandage only. If present, leave the BOTTOM WHITE STERILE STRIPS in place. You may then soak the area once a day using a wash cloth which has been soaked in a mixture of 1 tbsp of white vinegar in a pint (2 cups) of warm water. Drape the wash cloth over the wound for 15 minutes, pat dry and then apply Polysporin ointment and a bandage. If the bottom sterile strips become loose or soiled, they me be gently removed. If you are allergic to Polysporin, discuss with the medical assistant or the physician.
- If the surgical site is on your head or neck, you should keep your head elevated on two pillows when you lie down for the next 48 hours.
- Hold an ice pack over the surgery site for 20 minutes, two or three times on the day of surgery only. This will help decrease swelling and bruising.
- For three days following your surgical procedure:
- DO NOT take aspirin, ibuprofen, any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as: Naprosyn, Vitamin E without consulting with Dr. Kayal. Taking Tylenol is acceptable.
- DO NOT drink any alcoholic beverages.
- DO NOT bend over to pick things up or look down (a lot of reading).
- Do not do any vigorous exercise or sweating that might put the sutures under additional stress and interfere with prompt healing.
- If you notice any bleeding from the surgical site(s), apply firm, direct pressure for 10 minutes, followed by ice packs for ten minutes, perform this procedure twice. If bleeding persists, call our office.
- Do not sleep on the side of the body with the wound.